Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Fall I Programming - Week One!

Welcome to Fall I programming for the Gail Borden Public
Library District!  We have lots of fun planned for everyone.  Enjoy taking these ideas and using them at home with your
children!


Baby Rhyme Time
This week in BRT we read the books Look at You! by Kathy Henderson and Bedtime Peekaboo by Dawn Sirett.  We had fun doing the following rhymes...


Rhyme: I Have a Baby (Tune: Bingo)
I have a baby sweetie pie (Bouncing)
And he is cute all over!
Hands, head, nose and toes,
Hands, head, nose and toes,
Hands, head, nose and toes,
And he is cute all over!

Rhyme: My Fingers
My fingers can stand up straight and tall,
My fingers can bend and be very small.
My fingers can clasp my hands in a ball,
My fingers can jump, my fingers can fall.

Literacy tip:Learning the words for body parts is an important step in vocabulary development, and it also helps babies learn that they are separate from their caregivers.

Wiggles 'n' Giggles - At our Rakow Branch
We read the books That’s Not My Car… by Fiona Watt Say Hello Like This! by Mary Murphy.  We are talking about beginning "greeting" words.  Learning the motions and words is a big step in literacy for babies!  Practice, practice, practice at home and while you are out and about with your little one.  

Rhyme: The Baby Is Trying to Sleep
The chicks say, “Cheep, cheep,”
The puppies say, “Woof, woof,”
The mommies say, “Shh, shh, the baby is trying to sleep.”
The birds say, “Tweet, tweet,”
The kittens say, “Meow, meow,”
The daddies say, “Shh, shh, the baby is trying to sleep.”

Rhyme: Let's Say Hello to Our Toes
Hello toes!  Goodbye toes.
Hello toes!  Goodbye toes.
My toes are feeling shy today, but now they're feeling better!
Hello hands!  Goodbye hands.
Hello hands!  Goodbye hands.
My hands are feeling shy today, but now they're feeling better!


Wonderful Ones
This week we read the books The Baby Goes Beep by Rebecca O’Connell and What Does Baby Say? By Karen Katz.  We played "word" games with our little ones.  Developing everyday language is key to early literacy so singing songs repetitively is important!  Enjoy the songs below as well as favorites of yours from your childhood that you recall! 

Rhyme: Cracker Count
One cracker, two crackers, three crackers, four
Five crackers, six crackers, seven crackers, more!
Eight crackers, nine crackers
Ten crackers, then
Eat up all the crackers and start again!
Let’s count them slowly!
Let’s count them quickly!

Rhyme: Shaker song (twice)
Shake it high and shake it low;
Shake it high, shake it low,
Shake it high and shake it low
This is how the rattle goes.
Shake it fast; now shake it slow;
Shake it fast; shake it slow;
Shake it fast; now shake it slow;
This is how the shaker goes.


Terrific Twos
This week we are learning about Squirrels.  We read the books Nuts To You by Lois Ehlert  and The Busy Little Squirrel by Nancy Tafuri.  To continue the fun at home check out the video and song Grey Squirrel.  Here are the words below to sing along:

Grey squirrel, grey squirrel swoosh your bushy tail. Grey squirrel, grey squirrel swoosh your bushy tail.  Hold a nut between your toes.  Wrinkle up your little nose.  Grey squirrel, grey squirrel swoosh your bushy tail.

Busy, Busy Squirrels Tune: "Ants Go Marching”
The squirrels are busy running 'round, today, today. (run fingers on palm of hand)
They are hiding all their nuts - away, away. (hide face)
Up in trees, and in the ground. (point up, then pat the ground)
Hiding nuts all around. (make circle with arms)
Oh, they work so hard. (march motion)
So later, they can play. (wave excitedly)


1,2,3, Go!
This week we read the books Little Apple Goat By Caroline Jayne Church and Farmyard Beat by Lindsey Craig and Marc Brown.  Our theme is all about the Apples and the Farm.  At home, continue the fun by brainstorming what animals live on the farm!  

Apples: Rhyme
Apples one two three,
Apples for you, apples for me,
Apples big, apples small,
Apple trees tiny, apple trees tall,
Apples sour, apples sweet,
Apples, apples are nice to eat.!

FingerplayFive Red Apples
Five red apples ( Hold up five fingers)
Hanging on a tree,
The juicest apples you ever did see!
The wind came past,
And gave an angry frown,
(Fingers flutter downward),
And one little apple came tumbling down,
(One finger falls)
Four red apples,
Three red apples,
Two red apples……One red apple.


Story Mix
This week we read the books Peek in my Pocket by David Carter and A Piece of Chalk by Ericsson.  Our theme is about what we keep in our pockets.  To add on at home, ask your child what things they like to place in their pockets!  Make a list together!

Prop rhyme:  (with animal puppets) 
The things in my pocket are lots of fun 
I will show you one by one   
In my pocket is a frog
I found him sitting on a log
In my pocket is a cat
Give his head a little pat
In my pocket is a mouse
He was hiding in my house
In my pocket is a bunny
She twitches her nose and looks so fun
In my pocket is a dog
He is a friend of my little frog.

The Smile Song
There’s something in my pocket
It’s been there a long long while
I’ll take it out and put it on 
It’s a great big story time smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!