Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Storytime Programs - Week Five, Winter 2015

Welcome to the fifth week of our winter storytime programs.  We hope you are finding us to be a warm and inviting place to spend some quality time with your child.  Below you will find some of the books, rhymes, and fingerplays we are presenting this week.

Baby Rhyme Time (For babies 0-11 months and a caregiver)

Books
Big Little - Patricelli
Big And Little Things That Go - Rookie Toddler

Rhyme - This Is Big!
This is big, big, big, (hold arms out)
This is small, small, small.
This is short, short, short,
This is tall, tall, tall.
This is fast, fast, fast, (clap hands)
This is slow, slow, slow.
This is yes, yes, yes, (nod head)
This is no, no, no.

Acting out rhymes helps your baby learn about size and shape.  You can also develop your baby's vocabulary about these concepts by comparing the sizes and shapes of objects around the house.

Wonderful Ones (For babies 12-23 months and a caregiver)

Books
Emily Loves To Bounce - King
Bouncing Babies - Brownlow

Rhyme: I'm Bouncing
I'm bouncing, bouncing everywhere,
I bounce and bounce into the air.
I'm bouncing, bouncing like a ball,
I bounce and bounce and down I fall.

Bouncing and clapping rhymes are an effective way of listening to, and feeling, the rhythm of language.  Not only is the movement fun, but it introduces toddlers to the idea of rhythm--a fundamental component of language and reading.  Can you think of any other rhymes to bounce along to?  How about Humpty Dumpty or Jack and Jill Went Up The Hill?  Both of these nursery rhymes also include the action of "falling down" - sure to cause a giggle or two from your toddler!

Terrific Twos (For toddlers 2-3 years and a caregiver)

There Was A Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow! - Colandro
Three Little Kittens - Siomades
One Mitten - George

Action Rhyme:Today I Wore My Snow Suit
Today I wore my snow suit
That goes from heels to throat (point)
It closes with a zipper (zip)
And is much warmer than a coat. (hug self)
I wore a scarf around my neck (put on)
And a wooly cap bright red (put on)
It fitted snugly upon my ears (cover ears)
And covered my whole head (circle around head)
I wore boots with buckles (put on)
And mittens lined with fur (put on)
But just the same, when I went out (point to self)
I shivered and said, "Burr-rr-rr!" (shiver)

Does your toddler wear a snow suit when he goes outside?  A scarf and hat?  Gloves or mittens?  Next time you get ready to go somewhere, talk about what he must wear.  What color is his hat?  How many mittens must he wear?  Does his coat have a zipper or buttons?  The opportunities to have a conversation with your toddler during the day are endless!

1, 2, 3, Go! (For children 1, 2, and 3 years and a caregiver)

Books
One Mitten - George
Three Little Kittens - Siomades

Action Rhyme: Warm Mittens
I wiggle my left hand,
I wiggle my right,
Inside of my mittens,
So warm and tight.
I wiggle my pinkie,
I wiggle my thumb,
So when I make snowballs,
My hands don't get numb!

Fingerplays help children develop and improve their fine motor coordination.  Toddlers learn how to manipulate their fingers independently of each other and strengthen the muscles in both hands. Developing fine motor skills is essential because it paves the way for activities such as writing, drawing, and cutting with scissors.  

StoryMix For 3 to 6 (For children 3-6 years without caregiver)

Books  
Goodnight Sun, Hello Moon - Viola
Moon Sandwich Mom - Jacobson
On The Moon - Milbourne

Action Rhyme: Zoom, Zoom, Zoom
Zoom, zoom, zoom,
We're going to the moon.
If you want to take a trip,
Climb aboard my rocket ship.
Zoom, zoom, zoom,
We're going to the moon.
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Blast off!
Zoom, zoom, zoom,
We're going to the moon.

This week StoryMix is all about crescents!  Draw some crescent shapes on a piece of paper. Together with your child add some other shapes and lines to make a picture.  Easy idea: a happy face

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!