Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Storytime Programs - Summer 2015, Week Seven

Welcome to the seventh week of summer storytimes.  In addition to our weekly storytimes, there are numerous special events happening so be sure to check our Events Calendar http://gailbweb.gailborden.info/evanced/lib/eventcalendar.asp, give us a call, or stop by the desk in the Early Learning Center if you would like more information.  Below you will find some of the books, rhymes, and fingerplays we are presenting this week.

Tiny Tales  (For babies 0-23 months and an adult caregiver)

Books
The Wheels On The Bus - Child's Play (Big Book)

If you'd like to listen to a simple version of this song at home with your baby, click on the following video:




Action Rhyme: Row Your Boat
Row, row, row your boat
Gently down the stream
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily
Life is but a dream
(Rock your boat/bounce your boat)


This week's theme was transportation - buses, boats, and firetrucks complete with ringing bells for the little ones to make some noise with!  Row Your Boat is a fun action rhyme to repeat at home.  Can you think of other verses to add?  Wiggle your boat, tickle your boat, bump your boat....?  

Be sure to attend our final program next week when we will have a musical performance by Kate Taylor of Creative Childbirth Concepts!  


Wonderful Ones (For babies 12-23 months and an adult caregiver)

Books
Little Bird - Pirotta  
Early Bird - Yuly

Action Rhyme: Two Little Blackbirds

Two little blackbirds sitting on a hill
One named Jack, one named Jill
Fly away, fly away Jill
Come back Jack, come back Jill

This week we listened to stories and sang rhymes about birds.  Point out birds when you are outside with your little one.  What can you say about them?  Do they fly?  Do they have wings?  What colors are they?  


Preschool Story Time with the Readership (For children 3 years - Kindergarten)


Books
I Love Cats - Stainton
I See Kitty - Surovec
Cat's Colors - Cabrera
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy buttons - Litwin

Rhyme: I Know a Cat

(Tune: B-I-N-G-O)
I know a cat with perky ears
And Kitty is her name-o
K-I-T-T-Y, K-I-T-T-Y, K-I-T-T-Y
And Kitty is her name-o

Sing this rhyme at home with your preschooler and practice spelling out loud!  Repeat until your child can sing along.  Can your child write the word also?  Show your child the connection between the spoken word and written word.   

Sing Me A Story (For children 2 years -Kindergarten with adult caregiver)

Books
Gossie - Dunrea (Big Book) 
Dance Away - Shannon (With Puppet)

Action Rhyme: I Gave My Horse
I gave my horse an apple
And she gave me a neigh
I gave my horse a carrot
And she moved her head this way
I gave my horse a sugar lump
She gave me a smile
And then she took me for a ride
For more than half a mile

Can your child draw a picture of a horse.  What words can he use to describe his picture?  What other "horse" words can you think of together? Gallop, mane, saddle, hoof...?   








No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!