Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Storytime Programs - Spring 2016, Week Five

Welcome to the fifth week of spring storytime programs.  In addition to our weekly storytimes, there are numerous special events happening so be sure to check our Events Calendar http://gailbweb.gailborden.info/evanced/lib/eventcalendar.asp, give us a call, or stop by the desk in the Early Learning Center if you would like more information.  We hope that you'll be joining us.   Below you will find some of the books, rhymes, and fingerplays we are presenting this week.

Baby Rhyme Time (For babies 0-11 months and a caregiver)

Books
Baby Loves Peekaboo by Sirett
Peek-a-Moo by Cimarusti

Action Rhyme: I See You (Tune: Frere Jacques)
Baby is hiding, baby is hiding,
Away from me, away from me.
Where can he be?  Where can he be?
Peekaboo, I see you!

Sing this rhyme or make up your own "peekaboo" words to play this little game with your baby - it's sure to generate a lot of smiles and giggles.  This is a great distraction in line at the store, in the pediatrician's waiting room, or anywhere else if your baby gets a little fussy.

Wonderful Ones (For babies 12-23 months and a caregiver)

Books
Someone's Sleepy by Rose
Can You Cuddle Like A Koala? by Butler

Action Rhyme: Goodnight Me
Goodnight two ears,
Stop sniffling nose.
Stay quiet mouth,
And don't move toes.
Goodnight two hands,
Stop fiddling around.
Goodnight two eyes,
Time to shut down.

Toddlers thrive on routine.  If you don't already have a bedtime routine, now is a good time to establish one.  Be sure to include activities that calm and soothe, such as gentle music, snuggling up on a lap with a  favorite book, a simple rhyme as you put on pajamas, etc. 

Terrific Twos (For toddlers 2-3 years and a caregiver)

Books
Peck, Peck, Peck by Cousins
Baby Bird by Dunbar

Action Rhyme: Three Baby Birds
Three little birds sitting in their nest,
Waiting for their mother and taking a rest.
Said the first little bird with a peep cheep peep,
I wish I could eat a little brown seed.
Said the second little bird with a peep cheep peep,
I wish I could fly among the trees.
Said the third little bird with a peep cheep peep,
I wish I could build my own nest.
Back flew the mother with a worm in her beak,
And she fed her babies and put them to sleep.

Pretend you and your toddler are birds.  Can you peep, cheep, squawk and hoot?  Can you flap your wings?  Can you fly?  Have fun playing together!

1, 2, Go!  (For children 1-3 years and a caregiver)

Books
Raindrop Plop! by Lewison
Dimity Duck by Yolen

Action: Rhyme: In the Rain
We're stomping in the rain,
We're stomping in the rain,
We can't go yet,
We must get wet,
We're stomping in the rain.
(clapping/hopping/running/turning/sitting)

Toddlers love to play in water.  Bath time is a great opportunity to do so!  Provide cups to pour, ducks to float, washcloths to soak and toys to squirt.  Talk with your toddler as he plays.

StoryMix For 3 to 6 (For children 3-6 years without caregiver)

Books
Crash Bang Donkey! by Newton
Who's In My Bed?  by Piers (shown as storycards)
Giddy-Up!  Let's Ride!  by McDonnell

Action Rhyme: I'm a Little Cowboy (Tune: I'm a Little Teapot)
I'm a little cowboy, here is my hat (point to head)
Here are my spurs and here are my chaps (point to feet and pat legs)
When I get up, I work all day (jump up)
Get on my horse and ride away. (galloping motion)

Does your preschooler know how many legs a horse has?  Think of other animals with the same number of legs.  Ask him to draw his favorite one.

Family Jam (For families with young children)

Books
The Five Senses: Touch by Ruis
Forest Friends' Five Senses by Garelli
I can Tell by Touching by Otto

Action Rhyme: My Senses
My senses are a part of me,
A nose to smell and eyes to see,
Ears to hear and hands to touch,
A tongue to taste good food and such,
My senses are a part of me,
Working all in harmony.

Play a family game using your sense of touch.  Find two similar shaped items, such as an orange and a small ball. Have everyone close their eyes while one person gently touches the orange to the other people's knees.  Touch their arms with the ball.  See if they can tell the difference between the orange and ball.  Now put the orange and the ball in their hands.  Can they tell right away which item is which?   


  



No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!