Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Storytime Programs - Spring 2016, Week Seven

Welcome to the final week of spring storytime programs.  Below you will find some of the books, rhymes, and fingerplays we are presenting this week.  Thank you for joining us over the past few months.  We hope you've had as much fun as we have!  

Our weekly summer storytimes begin the week of June 6.  Be sure to check our Events Calendar for information on these and numerous special events happening over the summer.  Click on the following link, give us a call, or stop by the desk in the Early Learning Center if you would like more information http://gailbweb.gailborden.info/evanced/lib/eventcalendar.asp,  

Baby Rhyme Time (For babies 0-11 months and a caregiver)

Books
Planting Seeds by Wallace
What Happens Next? Seed to Plant by Rookie Toddler

Action Rhyme: Flowers
Flowers tall, flowers small,
Count them one by one,
Blowing with the breezes,
In the springtime sun.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Children internalize numbers by hearing counting again and again in rhymes and songs.  So, count toes at diaper changing time, count items as you put them in the grocery cart, count toys in the bath tub. Find opportunities to count every day!

Wonderful Ones (For babies 12-23 months and a caregiver)

Books
My Bear Griz by McGinness
The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, And The Big Hungry Bear by Wood

Action Rhyme: Arms
Arms go up,
Arms go down,
Arms go reaching way out wide,
Arms can rock you side to side.
Hands are to hold,
And pat and clap,
Hands are to hide behind your back.

What other things can your toddler with his hands?  Help him think of all the things he uses them for during the day.

Terrific Twos (For toddlers 2-3 years and a caregiver)

Books
In The Small, Small Pond by Fleming

Action Rhyme: I Wish I Was A Slippery Snake (Tune: If You're Happy And You Know It)
Oh, I wish I was a slippery snake,
Oh, I wish I was a slippery snake.
Oh, I'd slither across the floor,
And I'd slip under the door.
Oh, I wish I was a slippery snake.

Snake starts with the letter "s" which makes the "ssss" sound.  What other things can you and your toddler think of that begin with the same sound?

1, 2, 3, Go!  (For children 1-3 years and a caregiver)

Books
Who Took The Farmer's Hat? by Nodset
What's The Magic Word? by DiPucchio (presented as a prop story)
Kite Day by Hillenbrand

Action Rhyme: I See The Wind
I see the wind when the leaves dance by, (dance hands around)
I see the wind when the clothes wave "Hi!" (wave hand)
I see the wind when the trees bend low, (bend arms over and down)
I see the wind when the flags all blow, (wave arms high)
I see the wind when the kites fly high, (raise arms high)
I see the wind when the clouds float by (wave hand gently)
I see the wind when it blows my hair, (lift hair with hands)
I see the wind 'most everywhere. (hold hands out, palms up)

Look for the wind when you are outside walking or driving in your car.  Can you feel it on your face? How do you notice it?  

StoryMix For 3 to 6 (For children 3-6 years without caregiver)

Books
Little Pink Pig by Hutchins
How Kind! by Murphy
Rock-A-Bye Farm by Hamm

Action Rhyme: Five Little Piggies
"It's time for my piggies to go to bed," the great big mother piggie said.
"So I will count them first to see if all my piggies came back to me.
One little piggy, two little piggies, three little piggies dear,
Four little piggies, five little piggies, - yes, they're all here!"

Repeat this rhyme at home using fingers.  Moving fingers independently of each other helps your preschooler strengthen muscles that are essential  for holding a pencil and writing.  Provide your child with finger-strengthening opportunities on a regular basis - using scissors, picking up small items like cheerios or buttons, coloring, etc.  

Family Jam (For families with young children)

Books
The Story of Ferdinand by Leaf
The Nose Book by Perkins (shown as a YouTube Video To watch again, click here.)
Nosy Rosie by Keller

Action Rhyme: My Five Senses (Tune: Farmer In The Dell)
I use my five senses to see,
I use my five senses to see,
And when I want to see a star,
I use my eyes to see.

I use my nose to smell,
I use my nose to smell,
And when I want to smell a flower,
I use my nose to smell.

I use my tongue to taste,
I use my tongue to taste,
And when I want to taste a peach,
I use my tongue to taste.

I use my ears to hear,
I use my ears to hear,
And when I want to hear a bird,
I use my ears to hear.

I use my hands to touch,
I use my hands to touch,
And when I want to touch a cat,
I use my hands to touch.

Choose a familiar object in your home such as a sock, pencil, or a piece of fruit.  Use words to describe what it looks like.  Use words to describe how it feels and smells.  Can you hear and taste it too?  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!